Departure: Plane or Car Ferry?
This question must be asked! Coming by car seems to be more expensive at first! But it eventually turns out to be cheaper if you want to travel all around the country since bus trips are expensive.
If you really want to visit everything at a cheaper cost, I’d advise you to come by car which could be really useful in Ireland. I’ll show you why in my future posts. But if you can’t come by car you can also rent one from time to time.
Living in Limerick gives you the opportunity to easily reach the beautiful landscapes of the west coast. Most of the roads are in good shape and the Irish drivers are very fair!
I didn’t come by plane but some friends of mine will tell you soon about their flying experience.
♣ By Plane:
Depending on your plane, you can land at Shannon Airport which is not far from Limerick (40 minutes by bus from Limerick), or you can land at Dublin Airport (3 hours by bus from Limerick).
♣ By Car and Ferry:
That depends from where you’re from. My outward route from France to Ireland was Cherbourg-Octeville Harbour/Rosslare Harbour Co. Wexford. I’ll tell you later which Ferry’s company I chose and what difficulties I encountered.
To have a look at which companies are available, don’t hesitate to visit directferries website (link)
- Directferries:“The directferries.ie Ferry Offers page is where you’ll find all of the latest ferry offers and ferry discounts!” (link)
- Drivingschoolireland:“Our school mission is to teach our pupils to drive safely, confidently and competently. We do not simply “do the test routes”. We strive to prepare our pupils for a lifetime of safe driving, not just to prepare them for the driving test.” (link)
- Dublin Airport: Useful information about the airport facilities and services. (link)
- Shannon Airport: Useful information about the airport facilities and services. (link)
Text: Freddy D.
Photo: Freddy D.
- Sepia photomontage (my car Ferry’s reflection/windshield) © Copyright 2012 Freddy D
- My car Limerick © Copyright 2012 Freddy D.
- Ferry Cherbourg © Copyright 2012 Freddy D..